Playwriting Workshop: Politics and Poetry (DRA4113.01)

Jackie Sibblies Drury
FavoriteLoadingAdd to favorites

For our workshop, I’d like us to think about plays as being a combination of things. Of poetry and plot, in form (or structure). Of the personal and the political, in content. I’d so appreciate us thinking about this together because I’ve been thinking about this alone for quite some time. As I’ve thought about it, I haven’t been considering “poetry” and “prose” and “personal” and “political” to be definitive labels to apply to plays, but as grand, vague, antipodal points of theatrical expression. Another way to put it: these terms are the bounds of a matrix, and X and Y axis, that define the conversation that arcs through them. The goal is not to write “poetical” or “political” plays necessarily, but to these use the ideas we discuss throughout this semester to extend the range of our thought and writing. The writing prompts and feedback process will be similarly rigorous. The various writing work we do alone will be parsed through as a group with great care and attention. Ultimately, I hope that the writing produced in this workshop will be wildly different from the work you thought that you would be making, and that you will have gained or strengthened another vector of expression. Authors we will read will include Gertrude Stein, Ntozake Shange, Ben Lerner and Augusto Boal. Sherry Kramer will sign for this course.

Prerequisites: Interested students should submit a writing sample to skramer@bennington.edu by November 7, 2016.
Credits: 4
Th 8:20am - 12:00pm
Maximum Enrollment: 14
This course is categorized as 4000, All courses, Drama, Four Credit, Jackie Sibblies Drury, Monday and/or Thursday Mornings.