As part of the Mellon Foundation grant addressing Food Insecurity in Bennington County, this class will engage with the last two years’ overview of the programs currently being offered in Bennington, the best practices in our area and afar, and new projects that have been developed moving forward. Understanding Food Insecurity in Bennington County 3 will develop and sustain current coordinated engagement structures and complete a grant evaluation of the work done under the Mellon Grant. In addition to Bennington College students, the course will be advertised and open to members of the larger community who wish to enroll, enriching discussions on food insecurity and promoting the practice of the socially-engaged humanities. This course includes a basic introduction to food systems and food security. The class will also examine case studies and theory that addresses how to shift the food system to be more ecologically sound and just. Through reading, writing, and discussion, as well as engagement with the local community, students will gain an understanding of the complexity and the promise of food as a locus for human and environmental flourishing.
By participating in this class, students are invited to:
1) Practice the art of dialogue and reflection, fed by reading assignments, in an inclusive and academically rigorous classroom.
2) Work together to collect information and create a grant evaluation of the effectiveness of the Mellon Grant work in addressing food insecurity in Bennington.
3) Engage directly with local Bennington food insecurity efforts by meeting with key community stakeholders.
4) Research and write a paper on one aspect of food insecurity and how it should be addressed in the context of Bennington, VT.
5) Demonstrate effective presentation skills to share your work with members of the Bennington, VT community.
Delivery Method: Remotely accessible
Course Level: 2000-level
M/Th 10:00AM - 11:50AM (Full-term)
Maximum Enrollment: 30
Course Frequency: One time only
Categories: Advancement of Public Action , All courses , Environment , Remotely Accessible
Tags: CAPA , Environmental Studies , Food Studies