Intermediate Video: Amnesia and the Archive is an in-person course with remote options, building on the technical skills introduced in Intro to Video. Students will be expected to produce technical exercises, one short project assigned by the instructor, and one final project of their own design. Shorter assigned exercises will have specific technical constraints. These technical aspects of the course will be balanced with building a moving image discourse on the theme of time and memory, through readings, screenings, and discussions. We will be looking particularly at contemporary video art and cinema that build complex structures of narrative time, and address confusions of time, amnesia and/or fugue states, lost and/or recovered archival evidence, critical narratives of personal and collective memory, and present contested cultural content from a variety of global perspectives. To these ends we will pay close attention to the development of visual and aural compositional skills, color, value and rhythmic analysis, and complex editing structures and techniques – conventional and experimental. Finally, we will be looking at works created for mainstream distribution (single-screen) as well as approaches in installation and experimental platforming, online and otherwise.
Remote students may be asked to complete some work asynchronously.
- build technical media production skills with advanced Cave equipment through in-class workshops and weekly exercises;
- further develop pre-production research + development and post-production editing skills;
- complete readings and screenings on the topic of time and memory - and write brief reading responses;
- develop critical analysis tools and aesthetic vocabulary for moving image video art and cinema through screenings, discussions, writing, and group critique;
- propose and produce significant moving image projects of their own devising.
Delivery Method: Remotely accessible
Prerequisites: By email approval of the instructor: email Jen Liu (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Course Level: 4000-level
T 8:30AM - 12:10PM (Full-term)
Maximum Enrollment: 14
Course Frequency: Every Term
Categories: All courses , Film and Video , Remotely Accessible