This movement practice course is open to all levels of experience and even no experience at all with body conditioning or dance. The course is approached as a form of exercise as well as a way to recover from injuries, misuse, excess or lack of physical activity. We will learn about how to take care of one’s body regularly and how to stay strong and able to move for life, as well as ways to avoid injury for those that are dancing regularly or are involved in other physically rigorous practices. The course will include a blend of strengthening, stretching, body use and dance techniques employed by luciana achugar in her own practice as a movement teacher, such as Pilates, Yoga, Klein TechniqueTM, Alexander Technique, functional anatomy, strengthening and mobility training.
This course will be taught mostly in-person with a few class sessions taking place remotely via zoom.
* Gain an overall greater sense of well-being in their bodies.
* Gain functional and core strength.
* Learn how to stretch to affect change in their bodies and avoid injury.
* Learn how to discern between “good” and “bad” pain and how to make decisions accordingly.
* Feel more empowered as they get stronger and more able to move in different ways with increased awareness and understanding of themselves and their bodies in movement.
Delivery Method: Hybrid
Corequisites: Dance or Drama Lab Assignment if students are registered for 4 or more credits in Dance.
Course Level: 2000-level
M/Th 10:00AM - 11:50AM (Full-term)
Maximum Enrollment: 20
Course Frequency: One time only
Categories: All courses , Dance , Hybrid
Tags: movement , stretching , strenghtening , physical practice