This movement practice course is open to all levels of experience and even no experience at all with body conditioning or dance. The course is approached as a form of exercise that functions as a ritual for creating a deeper relationship to our bodies and a practice of “growing” our bodies organically from the process of tending to its needs for more strength, mobility, ability and connection between all its parts and the ground and space. This class is also a way to learn to better use our bodies in everyday life and when exercising and/or dancing, as well as a way to recover from injuries, misuse, excess or lack of physical activity. We will learn about how to take care of one’s body regularly and how to stay strong and able to move for life, as well as ways to avoid injury for those that are dancing regularly or are involved in other physically rigorous practices. The course will include a blend of strengthening, stretching, body use and dance techniques employed by achugar in her own practice as a movement maker and as a Pilates teacher, plus some of her own studies of practices such as Yoga, Klein TechniqueTM, Alexander Technique, functional anatomy, strengthening and mobility training.
This is a hybrid course, and will meet on zoom on Mondays, and in-person on Thursdays.
* An overall greater sense of well-being in our bodies.
* Gaining functional and core strength.
* Learning how to stretch to affect change in our bodies and avoid injury.
* Learning to discern between “good” and “bad” pain and how to make decisions accordingly.
* Feeling empowered as we get stronger and more able to move in different ways with increased awareness and understanding of ourselves and our bodies in movement.
Delivery Method: Hybrid
Course Level: 2000-level
M/Th 8:00AM-9:50AM (Full-term)
Maximum Enrollment: 20
Course Frequency: Every Term
Categories: 2000 , All courses , Dance , Hybrid , Two Credit