Students undertaking culminating work in Society, Culture, and Thought (SCT) complete individual research projects. The process generally begins with students presenting ideas and proposals in their sixth-term Plan Meetings. To support these projects, SCT faculty offer a combined research seminar (2 credits) and various specialized group tutorials (2 credits). These are co-requisites, so students taking the seminar must also take one of the group tutorials. Most individual research projects are accomplished in one term. Students wanting to conduct extensive fieldwork, data collection, or archival research may continue, with permission of their instructors, into the spring term after completing the fall-semester combined seminar and tutorial. Please email the instructor to register for this Fall 2023 semester seminar and for details about completing the necessary group tutorial form by the end of Spring 2023. Note that there are two different sessions of the research seminar on Tuesdays. These are listed as separate courses, and students should choose one or the other.
Students will complete culminating work in Society, Culture, and Thought, fully engaging Bennington's core capacities (Inquire, Research, Create, Engage, and Communicate) by learning how to:
1. Articulate a clear research question or problem and formulate hypotheses or expected results.
2. Identify an appropriate research methodology for their question and field, and carry out the research.
3. Survey the existing body of knowledge in their field and explain how their project contributes to the existing literature.
4. Communicate their research to others in the field and to broader audiences through writing and presentations.
5. Reflect on their social position as a researcher and their status as insider/outsider in the researched topic/community.
Delivery Method: Fully remote
Prerequisites: Interested students should consult their Plan Committees and email the instructor (email@example.com) for details and further guidance.
Corequisites: Two-credit tutorial with subject area faculty; students must submit this form by May 31, 2023.
Course Level: 4000-level
Tu 4:10PM - 6:00PM (Full-term)
Maximum Enrollment: 25
Course Frequency: Once a year
Categories: 4000 , All courses , Fully remote , Society Culture and Thought , Two Credit , Updates
Tags: advanced work , critical analysis , multidisciplinary , research , seminar