Throughout history, tableware has been an expression of a specific time and place. In this way, utilitarian objects embody the ideas that define culture. For this class, intermediate and advanced ceramic students will produce prototypes that are a thoughtful response to this problem. The emphasis will be on designing compelling pots rather than producing many matching sets. Students will combine various building techniques like throwing, coil building, slab building, and simple molds to make their pieces. Discussions will address formal and conceptual issues, including design and functionality. The culmination will be a feast at the end of the term where each student brings food appropriate for the pots that they designed.
Along with this tableware project, and in the spirit of designing pots for use and community, we will work on expanding the Crossett Cup Lending Library (CLL). The CLL encourages community on campus through an introduction to ceramic artists, handmade cups and will provide cups for use on campus for community events or personal use. Students in this class will install the cups in Crossett Library and continue to curate and make cups for the CLL.
1. Expand on your technical ability to construct ceramic forms and your understanding of glazes, including their application and firing.
2. Complete a set (with three components: plate, bowl, cup) of tableware, either functional or theoretical.
3. Identify source material specific to the tableware project.
4. Research and complete text cards and accompanying documents for one artist from the cup lending library.
5. Be aware of and assert your observations of what is personal in your work.
6. To become more comfortable with and capable of discussing the ideas present in your work and art in general.
Delivery Method: Fully in-person
Prerequisites: One prior class in ceramics or permission of the instructor.
Course Level: 4000-level
M 8:30AM - 12:10PM (Full-term)
Maximum Enrollment: 14
Course Frequency: Every 2-3 years
Categories: Fully In-Person , All courses , Ceramics
Tags: Making , art design , vessel , library , cups , clay , ceramics , functional , Craft