Performance as Radicalism in Practice, Third Edition (MPF2167.01)

Kriss Mincey, MFA Teaching Fellow

This is a reading-heavy, writing-heavy, and movement-inclined curriculum. Be advised.

The purpose of Performance as Radicalism in Practice is to re-home ourselves in the performance process, and to reframe it as the expression of belonging rather than the prerequisite for it. We’ll explore what performance can be for, starting at the site of hyper-local change: in the body of the performer.

Through close reading, writing assignments, discussions, models and exercises, this class aims to think beyond the entertainment-political action binary, because what’s secular and soulful, or relevant and timeless are seldom separate things. So to be clear, we are not dealing with the question of how we can use performance to affect political change.Instead, this class is asking, and facilitating students to generate their personal answers to the questions, “How can I use my performance process to repair my root system? How can I integrate practices of repair in my performance process? What does it mean for me to re-indigenize myself as a being, a human, an artist-intellectual-revolutionary, and a citizen of the multiverse?

As I write this class, I gather that it’s largely a theoretical one–I’m not teaching performance technique, as this is also first informed by the meanings encoded, ingested and inherited in our bodies. But, we will engage the body regularly to understand concepts in a material way, as often as possible, so come ready to dance.

Learning Outcomes:
Particularly, students will learn

- how to ask better questions

- how to analyze a written text

- how to read your body as text

- how to identify your performance process

- how to design your performance process to repair your root system

Delivery Method: Fully in-person
Course Level: 2000-level
Credits: 2
M/Th 10:00AM - 11:50AM (1st seven weeks)
Maximum Enrollment: 12
Course Frequency: One time only

Categories: Fully In-Person , All courses , Performance
Tags: , ,