This course introduces a variety of materials, techniques and approaches to working with oil paint. Emphasis is placed on developing and understanding of color, form and space as well as individual research and conceptual concerns. The daily experience of seeing, along with examples from art history and contemporary art, provide a base from which investigations are made. Formal, poetic, and social implications within paintings both from class and from a wide-ranging selection of practicing artists are examined and discussed. Students complete work weekly. There are regular group critiques and individual reviews, reading assignments and lectures by visiting artists. A high degree of motivation is expected.
Although students will be asked to respond to questions presented in class, and specific assignments will be given throughout this course, it is the objective of this class to provide the skills necessary for the student to confidently pursue self-designed projects.
- Experience with basic contemporary techniques for use and safe handling of oil paint
- Understanding of the basics of construction and safety when building painting supports.
- Practice with use of a full color painting palate and practice observing naturalistic color.
- Exposure to and formal research of wide-ranging definitions and approaches to contemporary painting and a broad range of living artists, their material and conceptual/narrative priorities.
- Experience with the practice of inclusive classroom conversation particularly as it pertains to the discussion of the artwork of classmates as well as to the analysis of contemporary art.
- Increased confidence with the artistic process and full engagement with studio practice through the development of ideas and approaches through conception to finish.
Delivery Method: Fully in-person
Corequisites: VALS: Suggested not required.
Course Level: 2000-level
T 8:30AM - 12:10PM (Full-term)
Maximum Enrollment: 16
Course Frequency: Every Term
Categories: 2000 , All courses , Four Credit , Fully In-Person , Painting
Tags: art , collaborate , color , contemporary art , Experimentation , improvise , light , observe , Painting , practice , Research , studio art , visual art