Intermediate Drawing: Beyond Representation (DRW4103.01)

Beverly Acha

In this intermediate drawing course you will expand on basic drawing skills and be invited to investigate the ways drawing is interdisciplinary, intersecting with painting, sculpture, printmaking, and performance. Together we will explore diverse processes and conceptual frameworks for art making.

This course invites you to investigate how drawing might influence, support, and/or expand your larger artistic practice or give you space to investigate new ways of working. You will be invited to explore ideas that are meaningful to you, which means that self-motivated students excited to take risks, challenge themselves, and push their work into uncharted territory will thrive in this course.

Projects will encourage you to find your own answers to questions and drawing problems posed. Expansion of your drawing skills through experimentation with (and the invention of) tools, techniques, and non-traditional drawing materials is strongly encouraged. Class time is divided between in class drawing prompts, group critiques, slide lectures, discussions of assigned readings, visiting artist lectures, and possible visits to regional museums or artist studios.

Some of the questions we will consider: How do you define drawing? In what ways can drawing go beyond representation? Can you have narrative in a drawing without recognizable elements? In what ways can a drawing go beyond image? In what ways is drawing a way of thinking? What is the relationship between materials, process, and concept in a drawing? How does my direct tactile experience of a material change the way I make marks, draw, think, and see? How does the source of my idea or influence change the outcome of a drawing? How do I bring the ideas I’m passionate about into my work in ways that are visually, conceptually, and materially compelling?

Learning Outcomes:
- Expand basic representational drawing skills and expand the definition of drawing
- Develop a personal sense of how drawing can support and/or expand an artistic practice
- Further develop individual drawing practice through open ended prompts
- Investigate the ways drawing is interdisciplinary, intersecting with painting, sculpture, printmaking, performance
- Investigate different methodologies, criteria, and processes for making a drawing
- Develop the ability to talk about your own work and that of others through critique and writing exercises

Delivery Method: Fully in-person
Prerequisites: Introduction to Drawing (2000 level drawing course). Registration by permission of instructor (contact: beverlyacha@bennington.edu)
Course Level: 4000-level
Credits: 4
M 1:40PM - 5:20PM (Full-term)
Maximum Enrollment: 14
Course Frequency: One time only

Categories: 4000 , All courses , Drawing , Four Credit , Fully In-Person , New Courses , Updates
Tags: