Sculpture is realized through an exchange between the medium and the self. The class will begin with the question: What is Sculpture? Projects will push forward conceptual topics specific to sculpture including form and presence, the body, light and illusion upon form, the transformation of materials through techniques and the generation of ideas through drawing, writing and making. This is an advanced level course for students who have developed technical sufficiency and have a desire to explore further in ceramic processes. This class will provide a framework for explorations into making and thinking that will eventually become the foundation for a self-directed practice. The philosophy and vocabulary of 3D work and the techniques for self-generating projects will be the primary focus of this class.
ADVANCED CERAMICS PROJECTS - Self & Clay Learning Objectives
• Employ self-critiquing skills to develop autonomous expression in ceramics while recognizing the standards and definitions already established by both contemporary and historical works of art from different cultures.
• Expand upon technical proficiencies in ceramic processes, comprehension of the materials, equipment and studio procedures to independently produce a completed ceramic project.
• Discover new ways in which sources of inspiration can deepen critical thinking and be translated with the ceramics process to develop a conceptual framework that supports the work.
• Ask meaningful questions, identify ideas and issues, and be able to actively participate in a critical dialogue about ceramics with others using advanced level vocabulary.
• Recognize their shared responsibility in cultivating an engaging, respectful, and productive learning community
Delivery Method: Fully in-person
Prerequisites: Students will be selected based on prior experience with clay, a minimum of four terms of ceramics and images of ceramic work will be used to determine placement. Preference will be given to students who have Plans related to the course material.
Course Level: 4000-level
Th 8:30AM - 12:10PM (Full-term)
Maximum Enrollment: 14
Course Frequency: Once a year
Categories: All courses , Ceramics , Fully In-Person
Tags: ceramics , Making , Sculpture , Vessels